Monday, August 1, 2016

Don't Fall In Love. Rise In It.

I used to think drama in relationships was inevitable.
I used to think relationships were a lot of work.
I used to think I wasn’t deserving of true love.
I used to think I’d never let my walls down long enough to experience love.
And ultimately, I used to think if I ever did meet the right one, I’d fall in love.
I had it all wrong.
I did meet the right one. But instead of falling in love, I rose in love.
This love is easy. In fact, it’s the easiest thing I’ve ever done.
I don’t have to worry. I don’t have to wonder.
I don’t have to fight for my relationship’s success.
I may not always be easy going, but I’m in the calmest place I’ve ever been.
Any time two people come together – be it in a work relationship, a friendship or a passionate relationship – there will be bumps in the road. After all, that’s what happens when two opinions, two thought processes and two egos are brought together. But bumps are merely ways to gain greater understanding of one another. They’re meant to educate us and ultimately bring us closer together.
I’m not writing this to brag about the love I am graced to receive. I am writing this because there were many years of wondering, of worrying, of crying – scared that I would never find it. That I’d never meet someone who loved me and stood by me. That I’d never meet someone I wanted to open the dark corners of myself to.
But here I am. I’m still the same imperfectly perfect someone. It is possible. It’s possible to find someone who loves all the things the people before ran from. It’s possible to find someone who makes being vulnerable not seem so scary. It’s possible to find someone who brings purpose to your life like you never imagined.
I write this in case you – or anyone you know or love – is scared. Scared they’re undeserving. Scared that after too much heartbreak it’s just not possible. I’m here to tell you it is.
Rising in love has humbled me in a way I never imagined. It has woken me up in the middle of my life. It has brought meaning to the most meaningless things. It makes me strive to be softer. To be kinder. To be more tolerant. And for those reasons – and a million more – I will never be the same. And that’s 100% okay by me.
                 


No comments:

Post a Comment