Monday, May 16, 2016

Cake Batter Zucchini Oats

You guys. I just can't even hide this recipe from you. So I've been seeing tons of people posting on Instragram lately about Zucchini Oats and I just didn't get it. So you want me to grate up veggies and cook them into my breakfast? I was skeptical to say the least.

I am Captain Sweet Tooth over here so the opportunity to transform my breakfast into a mini salad (hey, green veggies count as salad-like, right?!) had me intrigued.

Well, after a kick-ass Monday morning workout, I came home and whipped up a bowl of warm, comforting yumminess. I was completely amazed how you couldn't taste the zucchini AT ALL -- AND it added so much volume that I was glad I dropped my usual 1/2 cup oat serving down to 1/3 cup. And for those of you meal prepping a few times a week, you can easily make a big batch and toss this into mason jars or tupperware for the week. It'll hold up perfectly!

If you only try one thing I've suggested, I say try this! And most importantly - have fun. Toss in whichever fruit you like. Leave off the almond butter. Add more. Take a better picture than mine. Use prettier plates. WHATEVER - just enjoy the blessing of cooking nutritious, healthy and fulfilling meals for yourself and those you love.

Happy Monday all!

XO,
Jenn

Cake Batter Zucchini Oats
In a small saucepan, add:
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 grated zucchini
Pumpkin pie spice
Enough water to cover

Bring to a slow boil, then drop down to a simmer. Cook 3 minutes or until most water has evaporated

Stir in 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons egg whites and stir, stir, stir to avoid scrambled eggs in your oatmeal (I’ve forgotten to stir and trust me – they scramble!)

Top your bowl with whatever floats your boat!

Pictured today:
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon(ish) unsweetened coconut shreds
1 teaspoon Buff Bake Cake Batter
2 ounces bloobs

As I’ve mentioned, I am not currently tracking macros, but I did enter this recipe into MyFitnessPal out of curiosity. Here are the macros for those interested:
Calories 374
    Total Fat 17 g     
             Total Carbohydrate 36 g               
           Dietary Fiber 9 g              
         Sugars 9 g           
    Protein 23 g       



No comments:

Post a Comment