Thursday, May 12, 2016

What I'm Loving Lately: Food Edition

Can we just take a moment and discuss the pure disdain I have for salad dressing. Ever since I was a kid, there's just something off putting (okay, disgusting) to me about pouring oil on my food and eating it. Honestly it's not even the unhealthiness as much as it's the taste. Although it's a blessing in disguise I don't like it, considering nearly all salad dressing is fat and calorie laden. You could imagine my delight when I stumbled upon the holy grail of all salad dressing on my last trip to Whole Foods. This bad boy is so flavorful, the ingredient list is short (which I love!) and it has ZERO oil. I repeat - ZERO oil. WOO HOO! 

It contains: Fig Balsamic Vinegar (Grape Must, Wine Vinegar, Fig Must), Filtered Water, Pear Juice Concentrate, Mustard (Vinegar, Mustard Seeds, Salt, Spice, Turmeric), Non-GMO Corn Starch, Xanthan Gum, Black Pepper. 

My fellow food allergy sufferers will be happy to know it's free of gluten, soy, and dairy. I love putting it on kale salads, grilled chicken, and more. Even if you happen to love traditional salad dressings, I say give this one a shot. It comes in at 30 calories for 2 tablespoons (as opposed to 200+ for most dressings), 0 grams of fat and only 40mg sodium (most dressings pack 250mg+).



Ever since returning from Hawaii, the acai bowl craze has hit me hard. Something about the combination of perfectly blended fruit, topped with crunchy granola and raw cacao has my mouth watering as I type this. I hadn't actually ever tried raw cacao nibs until Kauai and now I'm hooked.

These bad boys are organic, kosher, vegan and raw - and happen to contain a naturally rich supply of antioxidants and dietary fiber (yay to healthy colons!). Raw cacoa nibs contain one of the highest dietary sources of magnesium (which is known to increase energy, calm nerves, relieve muscle aches and more). Since they're dried and milled at low temps, all nutritional benefits are maintained (unlike their far-off and not so related relative, the chocolate chip!). 

I love putting a tablespoon on top of protein shakes, acai bowls, and even topping rice cakes with almond butter and a few nibs. DELISH!



After Whole Foods, my go to grocery run goes down at Trader Joes. The two products I want to tell you about are my new faves - and for good reason! Okay, who of you have had the genius idea to rice your own cauliflower? {Hand raise} If you have, you know what a huge, giant, epic pain in the arse it is. Lugging out the food processor. Cutting up all the florets. Picking up said florets when they inevitably fall on the floor. Cleaning the food processor. Opening wine because now you're stressed AF and need to relax. Except now who will cook the cauliflower you just riced? UGH! Have no fear - Trader Joes Organic Riced Cauliflower is here! This little gem can be found in the frozen vegetable section and each bag costs a mere $1.99!!! I LOVE this stuff and use it in so many ways. I've made Beef Bulgolgi Rice Bowls, cauliflower pizza, fried rice and more. 


My other new fave from the frozen section at TJs is their Shrimp Stir Fry. This guy is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner when all you feel like doing is ordering in but want to keep things healthy. Literally, you dump the bag into a hot pan and let it cook up for a few minutes. The end. Sure, I doctor mine up with some coconut aminos, sriracha, toasted sesame seeds and set it atop my cauliflower rice mentioned above. It's full of protein, veggies, and flavor. When I was first diagnosed with a soy allergy I was devastated - my love affair with Chinese food was over. Well, it's been 10 years and I am so grateful the market has come out with options like my beloved coconut aminos and products like these so I can recreate my favorite meals from childhood. I honestly don't even miss the soy - and I doubt you will either. The shrimp stir fry does come with a "gourmet pepper flavor packet" but honestly, I just toss it. I prefer to know exactly what's going into my food and usually seasoning packets contain tons of sodium. Either way, it's a much healthier option than ordering a pizza in. And it tastes great! Win win :)

I hope you get the chance try all (or some) of the items I mention above. And if you do - I'd love to hear what you think. Besides these, do you have any faves everyone should know about?? Please share!!

XO,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment