Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Monday In Meals & The Importance of Nutrition Timing

Happy Tuesday, friends!

While it’s no secret I love blogging about topics including friendships, love and fitness, it seems as though my nutrition related posts are most popular (THANK YOU to everyone who reads!) I figured why not share a day’s worth of healthy, wholesome meals. So let’s jump in! Here’s what I ate yesterday:

Pre-workout snack {not pictured}
Cup of coffee (black) with 1 salt-free Lundberg brown rice cake topped with 1 teaspoon Buff Bake Cake Batter (my new obsession!). I LOVE these brown rice cakes – they literally have ONE ingredient in them. It doesn't get much better than that!
Macros for this meal: 93 calories, 15g carbs, 3g fat and 3g protein

Breakfast post-workout
Bowl of Cake Batter Zucchini Oats. My oh my this was delicious. And thanks to how voluminous the zuchinni made the oats, I was able to reduce the oats from 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup AND it kept me full until lunch!

Macros for this meal: 374 calories, 36g carbs, 17g fat and 23g protein

Lunch
Turkey tacos! I simply cooked ground turkey breast (the breast, as you might imagine, is much leaner than the dark meat which keeps your overall fat intake down) with ½ chopped onion. I weighed out a 3 ounce portion, and mixed up sriracha with non-fat plain greek yogurt and topped everything with 1 ounce non-fat cheddar cheese. I wrapped it all in a few leaves of butter lettuce. 

Macros for this meal: 288 calories, 27g carbs, 6g fat and 33g protein!

Dinner
Veggie & Egg “Fried” Rice. This is a weeknight go-to in my house. You simply cook 1/3 package of cauliflower rice (Trader Joe’s is my fave!), 1 cup fresh bok choy topped with one tablespoon of Coconut Aminos (my soy sauce substitute), and ½ cup egg whites and one whole egg. That’s it!

Macros for this meal: 193 calories, 13g carbs, 4g fat, and 24g protein

Post-Dinner Snack
Green Protein Shake. I don’t know about y’all, but I just love something sweet at night. I don’t buy cookies or ice cream because I WILL be tempted to eat them - so I rely on this little treat to satisfy my sweet tooth. Thankfully it’s super quick AND packed with protein. Simply mix in a magic bullet or blender: 5 ice cubes, handful of fresh spinach leaves, ¼ cup frozen banana, one scoop of your fave protein powder (I use PESCience Peanut Butter Cup as it tastes great and is compromised of Whey protein – which is quick to digest - AND Casein protein – which takes longer to digest), 1/3 cup unsweetened cashew milk and a splash of water. Blend and enjoy!

Macros for this meal: 159 calories, 13g carbs, 2g fat and 24g protein

You'll see I started out the day heavier in carbs (as I worked out in the morning) and slowly started tapering off. It's interesting to note even though dinner would appear to be 'carb-free' as the 'rice' was cauliflower - it still contained 13g of carbs as did my protein shake. This is why it's valuable to track your nutrition intake for a bit to see exactly what you're putting into your body at each meal. It's also worth noting I managed to get in 20+g of protein at each meal (minus my pre-workout). It helps to spread our your protein throughout the day to keep you fuller, longer! 

It's worth noting - everyone's nutrition goals are different - and no macro counts are a one-size fits all. For example, my body requires less calories than my boyfriend because I weigh nearly half as much and have less muscle mass than he does. However, I engage in intense exercise 5 days a week, so I may ingest more carbs and calories than another female at the same height/weight as me who happens to be sedentary. There are plenty of macro calculators out there to help - and while I'm NOT a nutritionist, I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have around nutrition to the best of my ability. If you're interested in calculating your own macros, I suggest starting with IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros).

And speaking of. 

Did you know that the timing in which you eat certain foods matters? Let me explain.
  1. Your body benefits most from eating more carbs and less fat in the meals around your workouts. So you'll see I ate a rice cake before and a bowl of oatmeal afterwards. Usually I top my rice cake with non-fat plain greek yogurt BUT that Buff Bake is brand new and called my name. 
  2. I mentioned it earlier, but it's important to spread your protein intake as equally as you can throughout the day to keep you fuller, longer! 
  3. Typically I eat more fat on non-weight lifting days and more carbs on days I lift weights. I've said it before in previous posts, but carbs are NOT the enemy. I repeat - carbs are not the enemy! You need them for energy - so stock up on healthy, nutrient-dense carbs such as sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, old-fashioned oats and more. If you missed my post back in February on the importance of healthy carbs, check it out! 
I know this post contains a ton of information that may be brand new to you - as always, please feel free to contact me or comment on this post and I'm happy to answer any questions I can. Again, I am NOT a nutritionist nor am I a physician but I've been an avid fitness lover for quite some time and after doing quite some metabolic damage to myself after a fitness competition prep, I feel passionate about sharing helpful tips on how to live a healthy and balanced life. 

XO,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment